US probe clears forces over civilian deaths in Afghan city

Click For Larger Image & Read More
US probe clears forces over civilian deaths in...
 © In-Cyprus 2018
A US military investigation confirmed that dozens of Afghan civilians were killed in a special forces operation near the northern city of Kunduz last year, but found troops had acted in self-defence and decided no action would be taken against them.

The report, published on Thursday, said 33 civilians were killed and 27 wounded last November when a US and Afghan special forces unit returned fire against Taliban fighters in the village of Boz, near Kunduz, and called in air support.

“The investigation concluded that US forces acted in self-defense, in accordance with the Law of Armed Conflict, and in accordance with all applicable regulations and policy,” the U.S. military in Afghanistan said in a statement.

The raid, involving both US and Afghan special forces, took place during operations to push back Taliban fighters from the vicinity of Kunduz, the strategic city they had come close to overrunning in October.

The unit came under heavy fire from...


US probe clears forces over civilian deaths in Afghan city


The contents of this article including any associated images are © In-Cyprus 2018
Views & opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and/or In-Cyprus .

Advertise Here

Trending Cyprus News

Article Tags: probe, clears, forces, civilian, deaths, afghan,

 

Advertise Here

24hr News